Changes to gas and electricity prices: how are bills affected?
Gas and electricity bills will increase in the fourth quarter of 2018
In line with the announcement from the industry authority ARERA (Regulatory Authority for Networks and Environment), gas and electricity bills will rise again in the fourth quarter of 2018.
Since the beginning of 2018, prices for energy commodities have undergone sharp increases, leading to the rise in wholesale prices for electricity and natural gas. As a result, for customers served under the protection scheme, the annual cost increases for a typical family as established by ARERA, are +7.6% for electricity and +6.1% for natural gas. To be specific, the kWh cost is going up by 1.5 euro cents, while the standard cubic metre cost is increasing by 4.78 euro cents compared with the third quarter of 2018.
This rise, due to the increased cost of supplying the raw material, will also affect free market customers.
What has caused the increase?
Among the various reasons leading to an increase in the price of electricity and raw natural gas for customers served under the protection scheme, the following factors can be pinpointed:
- the sharp increase in energy raw material prices
- the increase in wholesale prices of gas and electricity
- the "unprecedented" rise in the cost of carbon dioxide emission permits (CO2, +29% in the last three months compared with the previous quarter)
- uncertainty due to the total or partial shutdown of 22 out of 58 nuclear reactors in France, a country from which we import a significant proportion of electricity
How are the increases in gas and electricity costs reflected on the bills?
Based on estimates by ARERA, for the period 1 January - 31 December 2018, the typical family in the protection scheme will have:
- for electricity: an annual expenditure of 552 euros with a variation of +6.1% (about 32 euros per year)compared with the expenditure recorded in the corresponding 12 months of the previous year
- for gas, an annual expenditure of 1,096 euros with a variation of +5.9% (61 euros per year) compared with the expenditure recorded in the corresponding 12 months of the previous year.
Who is affected by the increased gas and electricity costs
As previously mentioned, this increase, being linked to the cost of supplying raw materials, affects both customers served in protection schemes and customers in the free market. However, if you are signed up to an offer from Enel Energia, the price of the energy and raw material gas is frozen for 12 months, as indicated in the economic conditions to which you subscribed.
Why choose Enel Energia
As explained in the previous paragraph, by choosing an electricity and gas offer Enel Energia on the free market, you will not experience the change in the price of energy and raw material gas for a whole year. By signing a contract with Enel Energia, in fact, you will lock in the price of electricity and gas for 12 months, protecting you from fluctuations in the energy raw materials market and price increases decided by ARERA.
Just log in to the Enel Energia portal to compare the offers for electricity and natural gas and find the one best suited to your needs.
Enel free market electricity offers
- GiustaPerTe. With GiustaPerTe you get a 100% discount on energy prices for the first month's supply, and the security of knowing that the energy prices remain locked in all year round, whatever the time of day. After the first 12 months, you can decide whether to stay or switch.
- E-light bioraria. Only available online, E-light bioraria is the offer with the energy prices locked in for a year, and allows you to save money overnight (from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next morning), at weekends and during holidays. Convenient and straightforward, it's managed online via the control panel in your personal Enel profile. The energy is certified as being produced from renewable resources
- E-light. One, simple price for energy (single rate) that may change after the first 12 months of the contract: you can choose whether to stay with Enel E-Light or switch. The supply is managed from your personal online profile. Remember that the energy is certified as being produced from renewable resources
Enel free market gas offers
- GiustaPerTe Gas. The offer You get a 100% discount on the price of raw material gas for the first month's supply, and its price remains locked in for one year, after which you can choose whether to stay or switch.
- E-light gas. It's the Enel offer for domestic gas supply that's only available online. With E-light gas the price of the raw gas material remains locked in for a year (at the end of which you decide whether to stay or switch) and you have the convenience of an online bill.
 The typical family has average electricity consumption of 2,700 kWh per year and installed power of 3 kW; gas consumption is 1,400 standard cubic meters per year.