There are two types of social bonus for electricity: one for economic hardship and one for physical disability.
The social bonus for economic hardship can be claimed by families who have:
- an electricity supply contract for their place of residence
- a power capacity of up to 3kW
- an equivalent financial situation index of €8265 or lower (for families with at least four dependent children, the index threshold is €20,000).
The social bonus for electricity for physical disability can be claimed by families with a member affected by a serious illness and reliant on electrically powered equipment for life support. In this case, to receive the bonus, the customer must possess a Local Health Authority (ASL) certificate that states:
- the type of equipment used
- the need to use such equipment
- the address where the equipment is installed
- the date from when the person has been using the equipment.
The two bonuses can be granted together (if the eligibility requirements for both are met). Furthermore, the social bonus for electricity can also be combined with the social bonus for gas.
The bonus is valid for 12 months and can be renewed up to eleven months before the expiry date, in cases where the conditions of economic hardship persist.
You need to apply through your local municipality or an institution specified by the municipality, such as a tax assistance centre or Italian Mountain Community.
When filling in the forms, full information must be provided regarding the following:
- family status
- details of the electricity supply contract (you will need a utility bill)
- equivalent financial situation index documentation (for bonus applications for financial hardship)
- local health authority certification (for bonus applications for physical disability).
The billing reduction is applied no earlier than two months after application to the municipality of residence (or other institution specified by the municipality).
Each household can claim the bonus for a single electricity supply.
In the case of a change of residence, you will need to reapply to the new municipality. In this case, the bonus will be transferred to the new billing address and remain valid until up to the original expiry date.
In the event of a change in income or the size of the family, the bonus amount does not change during the 12 months of entitlement. An increase or decrease in income or in the number of family members will take effect at the time of renewal of the application for the bonus.
Nothing; the bonus will continue to be paid without interruption until the end of the 12 months (or, for those granted the social bonus for physical disability, as long as the need to use the equipment remains, without interruption and regardless of the selected provider).