How to take over

Reactivate a meter in easy steps

How to take over an inactive meter

If you want to reactivate an inactive meter, you will need to provide:


  • your tax ID code;
  • the POD code of the meter (for an power supply) or the PDR code (for a natural gas supply). You will see this on the tag attached to the meter;
  • or the Customer Code (it is a 9-digit code that you can find on the counter display, if electronic, or on the bills of the previous owner of the supply;
  • the meter reading.

You will receive the contract by the channel of your choice (by mail or by post) and you will need to fill in and return the form declaring ownership or rightful possession of the property for which the power or gas supply is requested (certificate of residence). To learn more click here or find out the details in the FAQs.

Find out how to do the meter reading with the new gas meters.
Find out all our power and gas deals for your transfer. 


How to monitor the status of your application 
After signing the contract with Enel Energia, register with the Customers' Area and go to the "Your records" section: here you can monitor the status of your application.

In the "Your operations" section you will find a list of the contracts you have signed with Enel Energia: they show the date of signing, the type of contract (whether power or gas), the contract number and, also here, the application status. Your contracts are available in pdf. format.

Terms and conditions
To conclude a supply agreement, Enel Energia must verify some data regarding the applicant and the property for which it has been requested (Law Decree no. 47 of 28 March 2014, Art. 5 "Combating unlawful occupation of properties", converted into law no. 80/2104).

You will have to correctly fill in the contract form and send it by post to the contact address specified on the form. A photocopy of a valid ID document should also be attached.

If you fail to send the required documentation, the contract drawn up shall be considered void.